Thursday 16 January 2020

Listening fungi - you must be joking!

Jew's ear fungus


A couple of weeks ago, I came across some small, rather shrivelled up fungi in my local wood. I assumed that they were probably Auricularia auricula-judae, commonly called Jew's ear, Jelly ear or Wood ear fungus, as they can quite often resemble an ear!

I know that these fungi can dry out completely or freeze solid, becoming shrivelled, dry and brittle. However, when the rain returns, they can reabsorb water and “flesh out” once again. So yesterday following a very wet few days, I returned to where I had found them and was rewarded with some spectacular fungi!

The term “Jew’s ear” might seem a rather peculiar name, but it certainly was not intended to be anti-Semitic. It is a reference to the fact that Judas Iscariot is believed to have hanged himself from an Elder tree, because of the shame he felt after betraying Jesus to his executioners. This fungus is most often found (but not exclusively) growing on Elder and it is thought that the ears that emerge are visible reminders of Judas’ tormented spirit.  

The flesh of the ear is purple-brown in colour and has quite a gelatinous feel to it when touched. Although I have never tried them, they are apparently quite good to eat and are popular in some eastern countries.

It just shows that even in the middle of winter, there is plenty to find in the countryside if you keep your eyes, and dare I say it “ears” open too!   

No comments:

Post a Comment