Wednesday 1 January 2020

Remembering, but also looking forward

Happy New Year! 
I am restarting my blog once more, and intend writing quite frequently over the coming year - so check it out now and again! I hope you enjoy it! Do also get back to me with your thoughts, as I am always interested to hear from you! 

A friend in New York sent me these photos of a pigeon taking poppies from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier War Memorial in Canberra, Australia. What on earth was it doing with them?  
Well, it turned out that this pigeon was in the process of building one of the most beautiful, yet rather poignant nests ever built! Not just the choice of nesting material was extraordinary, but the positioning of the nest was amazing too, as you can see below, it was right beside a stained glass window.
The poppy of course represents the remembrance of those who have fallen in conflicts from around the world, chosen because this plant sprang up across the churned up battle fields, turning them into a blaze of red. The poppy seeds had been lying dormant under ground, waiting for something to disturb the soil above. Tragically, this time it was the horror of war that gave them the opportunity that they had been waiting for, to spring into life once again.
This pigeon I feel, also reminds us that after death, new lives will spring forth. These poppies represented those who are no longer with us, but they then went on to support a new beginning as well, cradling the pure white eggs that this pigeon will lay.
Rather wonderful I think!







No comments:

Post a Comment