Sunday 19 April 2020

More moths and a butterfly!

I have said it before and I'm quite happy to say it again! Don't let anyone tell me that moths are boring little brown jobs! Sure, one or two are a little dull, but in amongst the 2,500 species of moth in this country, there are some spectacular ones too! 

Here are a selection of moths that I have caught in my garden over the last week and one butterfly. 


A stunning Brimstone moth - actually a fairly common species

A Chocolate Tip moth, photographed from above

And the Chocolate Tip again, but this time photographed from the side. Note the chocolate tip!  

A Scorched Carpet moth showing off its intricate patterns

A Swallow Prominent

A Yellow-barred Brindle


My first Hawkmoth species of the year turned out to be a spectacular Eyed Hawkmoth. When they think they are in danger, they open up their fore-wings to flash their hidden eyes underneath, in the hope that this will frighten you away! 

So the butterfly family don't feel left out, I thought I would add this photo of a Peacock, which I found resting in the sun amongst a mass of Cherry blossom. Spring at its showy best!

No comments:

Post a Comment